Sunday 14 September 2014

Wampler Plexi-Drive British Overdrive Demo

Wampler pedals are designed by Brian Wampler and handbuilt in the USA.  The Company's website is not shy in telling the world how good these pedals are, describing them as "the most inspiring and musical guitar effect pedals available today" and "the bench mark for boutique level effects pedals worldwide".  No small claims!

I have two Wampler pedals in my rack - the Ego Compressor and the pedal that's the subject of this post, the Plexi-Drive British Overdrive.  I bought both pedals from Andertons in Guildford, here in the UK.  Unfortunately, the Plex-Drive had a broken switch.  I should have taken it back, but as I place most of pedals in a rack rather than on a board, the fact that the switch was faulty didn't affect the way I wanted to use the pedal.

As the name implies, this pedal is designed to make your rig sound like a Marshall amp.  The pedal features three simple controls - Gain, Tone and Volume, plus a Bass switch that adds some serious thump to the bottom end.  What I like best about this pedal is the huge range of useable tones, from light gain to seriously overdriven.

In the video, I'm experimenting with different levels of gain and different pick up selections on my Suhr Modern Custom, to demonstrate the range of sounds available.  I also added a little delay from a Way Huge Aqua Puss and Echo Puss, and reverb from a Hermida Reverb 2.



No comments:

Post a Comment