Wednesday 5 February 2014

My new favourite Wah: the Fulltone Clyde Standard

My first wah pedal was a Jen Crybaby, purchased in the 1980s from Cooke's Band Instruments in Norwich.  I used it along with an Ibanez Sonic Distortion (which I had chosen in preference to a Tubescreamer!) and an Electro-Harmonix Small Stone Phase Shifter. Sadly, I no longer own any of those pedals.  I sold the Crybaby to fund the purchase of a Vox V847 Wah, which I later modified with a True-Bypass kit purchased from an eBay seller. This involved a bit of soldering to replace some of the components, resulting in less treble loss.  The V847 will soon find a new home, via eBay, as I have a new toy: the Fulltone Clyde Standard wah.

I'm a big fan of Mike Fuller's Fulltone effects.  I also have a '70 Fuzz, a Fat Boost and a Mini Deja Vibe.


Clyde McCoy was an American jazz trumpeter.  He developed the signature "wah wah" sound in the late 1920s by fluttering a mute in the bell of his trumpet.  In 1967, Vox introduced the Clyde McCoy Wah-Wah Pedal to replicate this sound for electric guitar.  This pedal was used by both Jimi Hendrix and Eric Clapton.  Mike Fuller says he took the best from his collection of more than 25 Vox Wah pedals in the development of his Clyde Standard Wah.

I'm really enjoying this pedal.  It has a wide sweep, and is particularly good with fuzz and overdrive, owing to the switchable Booster/Buffer, which Mike describes as being a "fuzz-Friendly" circuit.  I also like the fact that it runs on either a 9v battery or can be powered with an AC adaptor.  This means it can be hooked up, along with my other pedals, to my Generator and Distributor power system from TheGigRig.  Now, if only I could play like Hendrix or Clapton ...

No comments:

Post a Comment